Care Enough to Kill HR 5034

by Nannette Eaton on April 17, 2010

Share/Bookmark

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” — Edmund Burke

house bill hr5034 Care Enough to Kill HR 5034

Care about wine?  Care about your local small farmers and vineyards?  Please contact your member of Congress and express your opposition to House Bill HR 5034: The Comprehensive Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness (CARE) Act of 2010.  At best, this is junk law; at worst it’s an end-run around the direct shipping movement.  Wine Spectator states, “The battle over whether consumers can order wine directly from wineries is moving to the halls of the U.S. Capitol. Members of Congress yesterday introduced a bill (HR 5034) that could end direct shipping of wine and other forms of alcohol in the United States, or at least put major roadblocks in front of lawsuits by consumers and wineries trying to reduce restrictions on direct shipping.”

If you don’t know who your Representative is, click here to get the address and phone number of your member of Congress.  If you want to send an email, check their individual website.  (And if you’re not registered to vote, now’s a great time to contact the Registar of Voters to sign up.  If you don’t vote, you can’t bitch.  Just sayin’.)  Make a Wine Harlot happy.  Care enough to get friendly with your Congressman this week.

pixel Care Enough to Kill HR 5034

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Tom Wark April 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Nicely put, Harlot!

Matthew mmwine Horbund April 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Great post! I’m working on mine now – it’s terrible how they’re aiming to stifle small business and fair trade under the guise of protecting children.

Bobby Cintolo April 18, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Great post! Thank you for the helpful links.

M. Scott Gardner April 19, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Jason Chaffetz who is one of the bills sponsors, is a Utah rep.
As I’m sure you know, this is already the law in Utah (My state) Our previous governor Jon Huntsman was a decent man and tried to reform utah’s drinking laws, and he did a lot! Utah is no longer a 3.2% state, private clubs have been eliminated and you can get a real drink in most restaurants. Chaffetz publicly declared Huntsman’s moves as misguided!
I will help you as I can, but calling my rep. wont help! If I CAN be of help…let me know!, I would like to get back on half a dozen or so mailing lists! Wine country is a 16 hour drive!

Ron Saikowski April 20, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Amend the Bill to require that Distributors treat the small wineries the same as the larger wineries or face huge fines. Result is bill will self-destruct!

Marshall Wehr May 26, 2010 at 7:46 am

I’m so incensed! This is such a thinnly veiled attempt to gain monopoly, I can’t believe they’re considering it. And consumers have no recourse, other than to write their congressman.

I created a Facebook group, “Oppose H.R. 5034 – Federal “Anti Wine-shipping” Bill” http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=122781777753159#!/group.php?gid=122781777753159&v=wall

I hope we can all show solidarity and halt this threat!

Wine Harlot May 26, 2010 at 9:27 am

I’m already a member of the Oppose HR 5034, and have contacted all of the California members of the Judiciary Committee expressing my opposition to the bill and how it would negatively impact the California economy. Cheers to fighting the good fight.